Sunday, August 25, 2013

The most beneficial meditation exercises

The two most beneficial exercises throughout this course for me have been the Subtle Mind exercise and the very first relaxation exercise we had.  That first exercise surprised me by how quickly I was able to relax and enjoy the stillness for those few minutes.  Afterwards, I felt I had a renewed energy that made the day easier to get through.  The subtle mind exercise was even better.  I focused on my breathing and felt my body relax to a whole other dimension of relaxation I didn't know I could get to. I was also amazed because it relieved a migraine I had when I began the exercise.  Plus, I felt amazing afterward.

I am trying to incorporate one or both of these into my daily life.  It still isn't a habit yet so its a hit or miss some days; however, I am really trying to make this an everyday routine.  I want to practice using the subtle mind exercise whenever I have a headache because I believe it can be a helpful cure to headaches without the use of medication.  I am beginning to see and feel the benefits of meditation in creating complete wellness in mind, body and spirit.


8 comments:

  1. hey Sherrie,

    It really isn't that tough to nail it down and make it part of your everyday ritual. For me, whenever I want to add something brand new, I try and add it between something else that I already have established. This makes almost a solid guarantee that I will do it...and after about 6-8 weeks, it will bee part of my routine naturally.

    Liam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sherrie,
    I am glad that you found some of the exercises helpful to you. That's awesome that it helped to relieve your headache. I was not very successful with the exercise but I still plan on trying them so hopefully things will improve. Don't worry stick with it and before you realize it will become habit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherrie,

    I am glad the relaxation exercise helped ease your migraine. I use to get migraines as a child and they have returned as of this year. I too will try to incorporate meditation into my daily life. Especially when an onset of a migraine comes, versus running to medicine. Wishing you the best.

    Liza

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also found that meditation has helped me center emotionally and physically. I have found something called Yoga Nidra which is a guided meditation, you can find some on YouTube and iTunes University. It's about 30 minutes long and is suppose to equal 3 hours of sleep. I can always feel my body physically release different tensions. When I'm finished I'm always amazed at how refreshed my body feels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherrie,
    I also struggle with headaches! I am currently trying to work through anxiety and depression and when a panic attack hits, I am pretty wiped out afterwards. The headaches that come when it's over are pretty bad. I have found that the meditation and deep breathing calm me down, and relax my breathing. I have also had to reach for my anxiety meds fewer times because of incorporating this into my daily routine. It's all about repetition! Do it as soon as you wake up or before you go to bed--those are both pretty routine things for all of us! Good luck!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think That trying out al the exercise helped in figuring out which one was best. Once I found an exercise that I enjoyed it was easy for me to incorporate into my life. It only takes minutes to try these exercises and once we become good at them we can build time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherrie,
    I am glad you found a non-medicinal cure for your migraine with meditation. This demonstrates how beneficial meditation can be.
    I am still not in control of the subtle mind exercise the way I think I should be yet. I connect more with the loving-kindness and the Aesclepius.
    In all, I believe that meditation, no matter which kind, can help us find our inner peace, inner strength, and inner self.
    Great blog!
    Browny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Sherrie,

    I think the Subtle mind was also good, I wanted to pick that one as one my favorite but I decided against it. With continues practice I think you will do well. Nothing good comes easy..... the wise men say ( lol).

    ReplyDelete