Sunday, August 18, 2013

Meeting Aesclepius

Meeting Aescelpius was an interesting meditative exercise for me.  I was able to capture the image of my grandmother who is my hero and the person I look up to the most.  She is the image of wisdom, strength, and endurance. However, I kept losing focus of her as other thoughts would enter my mind and I had to keep bringing her back into focus over and over.  The one thing that I did find interesting when I did have her in focus, was all the images of her that ran through my mind like a movie from when I was a little girl to the present.  In that sense it was pretty neat. The one thing that I could not do, however, was bring her spirit and light into myself as was suggested in this exercise; at least I don't think I did.

I enjoyed the background music and listening to the ocean.  I was definitely able to find my sense of calm and relaxation.  In a way I felt I was floating.  Towards the end I felt like I was floating out into the sea and for a couple minutes think I fell asleep.  When it was complete, I had a hard time coming out of that place I was in.  I felt weak, disoriented, and I felt like I needed to take a nap!  In fact, as I write this I still fell like my head is in the clouds.  Maybe because I was feeling so relaxed?

Overall, it appears that I have a hard time with some of the imagery that is included with some of the meditation exercises; but I do feel calm and relaxed when it is complete.  In that respect, using the meditation exercises is beneficial for me when I need to relax or to clear my mind, and this will be the reason why I will use these practices from now on.  Additionally, I believe that by my taking the few minutes everyday to do this, can really help my physical and my mental well-being. I haven't tested it yet but I feel like my blood pressure is lower after these meditations.  Which I hope is true because I just learned that my blood pressure is pretty high right now and I need to start watching it. I will be monitoring my blood pressure more frequently from now on before and after meditation to see if there are any significant changes.


"One cannot lead another where one has not gone him or herself"- Ken Wilbur

I believe this means that without myself first experiencing something, how can I teach or help someone else? In other words, I need to walk the walk in order to talk the talk!  This can be applied with anything but for the purpose of a health and wellness professional, a person who has not suffered from a disability will not have a complete or full understanding how the person who is suffering from that disability may feel.   The other side of that would be me, an overweight person, being a nutritionist or a personal trainer.  However, after a lifestyle change where I have lost all my weight, have become nutritionally healthy, and include exercise and gym time into my daily life; I might be the best person for a job like that because I have first been where the people I would be helping don't want to go and because I can truly understand what they are going through to make that lifestyle change themselves.

With all this being said, I would have to say that I do have an obligation to my clients to become whole and well psychologically, physically and spiritually.  How can a broken person help someone else?  I don't think that it is really possible.  That is why it is important for me to continue on the path of integral health and human flourishing.  I have a a lot of work ahead of me to get to where I feel I need to be, but have faith in myself that each step, even baby steps, will get me there as long as I am progressing and not receding.  I have a vision of my future self.  This class has given me knowledge to the changes I need to make as well as the activities I need to incorporate into my life in order for myself to become the me I envision.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Sherrie,
    The imagery is what I find difficult as well. I did a lot of thinking about how clear the image really needs to be in order to get the full effect. I wonder if even though the mind's image is a bit fuzzy one can still benefit? Also perhaps the image would become less fuzzy the more one practices?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sherrie,

    I am having such a good time following your blog! We have many of the same reactions to the exercises and this week I think it is great that you were able to play to movie of your grandmother through your mind. I have very few images of mine, so that must have been a very pleasant exercise for you since she is your hero.

    I think these longer sessions are relaxing simply because of the way they force us to slow down, close our eyes, and focus on becoming calm. The focused breathing alone helps me. If you find it difficult to do the imagery part, I would encourage you to do the deep breathing a few times a day to help control your B/P. It will help a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherrie,

    Really nice post, this week, as always! I had a similar experience during this exercise. I also thought of a woman that I considered another grandma in my life, and replayed all those memories in my mind during the meditation. The ocean waves were soothing, to me, too. Whenever I have trouble with the imagery suggested in the meditations, I just try to concentrate on my breathing. Sometimes, it just doesn't create the right picture in my mind, but at least I still get something out of the feelings, and relaxation. Sounds like you are doing great with these!

    - Laurie

    ReplyDelete