Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Practice of Loving Kindness

The first day of my practice with the loving-kindness exercise I fell asleep about 2 or 3 minutes into the audio. I didn't wake up for at least a half hour and then I just couldn't bring myself to complete the exercise. I think I must have been extremely exhausted! The second day I fared a little better. I got through the exercise but found my mind drifting off several times. It was hard for me to stay focused on the exercise. The next few days of practice I really tried hard to stay focused and do exactly what I was being told. However, it was not easy for me to envision the people and areas I was supposed to be focusing on and sending out love and peace etc. to them. I did get very relaxed though and I was able to concentrate on my breathing. I just don't feel I was very successful at this exercise practice this week. I have had a lot of personal and family "stuff" going on lately which has kept my mind on other things. Maybe that is the problem? With that being said I think I need more practice in this area, a better "mental workout".

A "mental workout" to me means training your mind to focus and concentrate, as in meditation. Dacher tells us that “Mental Workout” means utilizing contemplative practices to help tame the mind’s constant mental activities and train it along with opening one’s heart, expanding consciousness, and progressing towards psychospirtual flourishing (Dacher, 2006). Research has indicated that the proven benefits of a mental workout results in awareness and experiences of the mind and its many levels and capacities in healing and the development of the qualities of human flourishing which are health, happiness, and wholeness (Dacher, 2006).

I feel that in order for me to implement mental workouts to foster my psychological health, I will need to spend more time practicing using more effort and more discipline. I feel that I need to dedicate at least thirty minutes per day to incorporating the loving-kindness contemplative practice into my daily routine. In doing so I believe that I will feel more calm and peaceful, my mind will be more disciplined, and it will help me in creating wellness for my whole self.

Dacher, E. S. (2006). Integral health: The path to human flourishing. Laguna Beach: Basic Health Publications Inc.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sherrie,

    It IS tough to stay awake and focused with some of these exercises! I like to teach my students that focus on any type of meditation takes skilled practice and does not come easy.

    I myself am able to get through all of these, but they are not in-line with my practice. There are some similarities, but less specifics.

    Love yourself first!

    Liam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherrie.

    The exercises put me in a very relaxed state as well. It's hard to focus on the remainder because I'm in a lulled state. The fact that you are falling asleep says that the meditation exercise is in fact calming you. It takes time to develop the mind and be able to focus on one set thing for a duration of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting to see how differently everyone reacts to these exercises. I was able to follow the instruction but at the same time I did not experience a level of relation that you are mentioning here. In fact, I did not feel relaxed at all. I guess in your case the relaxation was in fact too much. So much that you couldn't successfully complete the exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sherrie,

    Your post made me laugh because I nearly fell asleep as well. This was a very long exercise and one I too had difficulty getting through.

    I found the most difficult part was to have to focus on those people who have done hurtful things and then send out love to them. I personally, don't like to go back and concentrate on those hurtful things, constantly bringing them up. I deal with it, forgive it, and move on.

    To go back and revisit these hurts from the past is not at all healing or cathartic to me. It certainly did not make me feel all loving and kind toward the person by the end of the exercise. As a matter of fact, I was more agitated thinking about it than before the exercise.

    Clearly, I did not get out of it what was intended. I think focusing on forgiveness and moving on is more my style and in line with my world view.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sherrie,
    I know how it is to get sleepy during these exercises - especially with all that you have on your plate! Some of the things that we are guided through in this one were difficult, for me. I think it's great that you are going to try to practice this more, as it will probably be a little different with each time.

    - Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sherrie,
    I got to give you the thumbs up for persevering. Practice, as you mentioned, is key. I know that I need wayyyy more practice on the subtle-mind exercise. I want to be able to focus on stillness. One piece of advise would be to take your time, no pressure. After all, the goal of these exercises are for us to gain from the experience, definitely not to stress ourselves out. I believe that, with small goals such as starting with 10 minutes, then move to 15 when we become comfortable and so on, will get us to finally experience the full extent of these exercises' benefits.
    Great post!
    Browny.

    ReplyDelete