Sunday, July 21, 2013

Reflections

This post is about my self-reflection of my personal level of wellness; physically, spiritually and psychologically.

Physically I would rate myself as a 4 on a scale of 1-10.  I am overweight and out of shape.  While I don't have any known illnesses or diseases such as diabetes (yet), I know that I am taking a risk with myself in this area. The weight loss battle I have fought on and off since I was in my twenties.  I have gained and I  have lost and gained it all back again.  I know what I need to do.  I know how I need to do it and why.  I just need to get back on the wagon and do it.  I know how wonderful I feel when I am eating right, exercising regularly and losing weight.  I want to get that feeling back.  I need to for my own health's sake.  Heart disease and diabetes runs in my family.  My father is very ill right now because of both of these diseases.  I admit I have been very lazy and have not really cared that much about myself in the recent past.  I am changing that though.  I recently joined a gym and bought a treadmill for my home.  I am working on eating more healthy.  I just need to make it a habit.  A lifestyle change.  I know this.  I begin right now!  My goal is to go to the gym 3 days a week for 30 min. for strength-resistance exercises, as well as 3 days per week walking on the treadmill for 30 min., and following the Weight Watchers diet.  Go me!

Spiritually I will give myself a 7.  I am a very spiritual person.  I pray daily.  I listen to christian music daily.  I read uplifting and inspirational books including the scriptures frequently.  I try to watch only good, wholesome television programs and movies. I gladly enjoy helping others and look for ways to serve as often as I can.  I give myself a 7, though, because I  have not been attending church regularly for about two years since I moved to where I live now.  Attending church regularly is important to me and is how I view myself in being a spiritual person.  My husband and I had a discussion about this very subject earlier this week and we have already made this a goal for ourselves beginning next Sunday.  

Psychologically I give myself a 5.  Six years ago I went through a very difficult and nasty divorce after 22 years of marriage to the father of my kids.  During that 22 years he was abusive to me not physically, but verbally and emotionally.  Coming out of that I have dealt with severe self-image issues.  It has been a very rocky road for me to climb out of that hole I felt I was in.  I am, however, glad to say that I am on the mend. I now have a wonderful husband who treats me like a queen and has helped me overcome some very serious issues.  Without him I probably would not be here today.  With a little more refining in this area I will be able to give myself a 9 or 10 in the near future.  Since each one of these areas are interconnected the exercise and weight-loss goal that I have set for myself will also help me in becoming psychologically well as it will help give me more of a positive image of myself.  I will also continue to include positive self-talk each day and surround myself by positive and encouraging people.

Regarding the relaxation exercise... First, I just have to throw this out there....I still can't figure out why it is called The Crime of the Century!  While I listened I was able to lay down on a bed and went through the deep breathing techniques that helped me relax.  I got very relaxed that I actually drifted off to sleep and startled myself awake a few minutes later and had to start the audio all over again.  I got through it all this time, again very relaxed but I never could picture the colors of the rainbow in relation to the areas of my body except when I got to the spot between my nose and forehead. I felt like I could see the indigo blue sphere; but that was the only place.  I'm not sure what that means!  All in all I was definitely relaxed and felt that it was nice to take a break from my homework to do that exercise; I just don't know if I got the whole idea of it or not.  Maybe in my subconsciousness?

What about you?  You can listen to it HERE. Let me know!



4 comments:

  1. It sounds like even though you arent happy with your current physical health, you are making a change. I like the fact that you said you are starting right now! That is great to hear because oh so often it is, I am going to start tomorrow or next week. I am with you on the exercise though. I am still lost as to why it has that name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to you on the physical rating. I too have struggled with my weight. I yoyo up and down and feel like at times I am not in control of my eating. I have control in all other aspects of my life except for eating. I am working on trying to find a psychological link to my eating habits. I believe that my upbringing has a lot to do with my eating habits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherrie,
    I think you are on the right path to improving your self evaluation numbers. The fact that you are able to admit that you feel you are not in the best shape and that you need to exercise is a great start. Once you get moving and it becomes a habit on a regular basis for you to exercise, you'll be asking yourself what took you so long. That's what happened with me when I started getting back in the gym and working out on a regular basis. My body, mind, and spirit felt so good afterwards that I cannot even think about stopping at this point. I think my body would react more to me not working out than it would to a vigorous workout on any day! Congrats in taking that first step of recognizing where your starting point is and knowing what you need to do next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherrie,
    I enjoyed reading your blog post! I, too, am currently going through a divorce. But I was only married 5 years--not 22. I cannot even imagine!! You are one brave lady. Keep your head up!! I admire your strength to get through all of this, as well as your determination to be completely healed. Staying positive is key. I have a new understanding of this (surrounding myself with only positivity)since going through a divorce myself. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete