Saturday, August 31, 2013

Final Project - Personal Application of the Psychological and Spiritual Aspects of Healing


IntroductionWhy is it important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually and physically? What areas do you need to develop to achieve the goals you have for yourself?

It is important for health and wellness professionals to incorporate all the areas of integral health practices into their own lives.  As a healthcare professional one should have a working knowledge and live the lifestyle in order to be effective and to be considered legitimate.  In other words, this means practice what you preach, or “walk the walk” before you “talk the talk”. 

The two areas that I need to develop in order to achieve an optimal and balanced physical, psychological, and spiritual wellness is implementing a daily exercise routine and daily meditation practices.  I believe that if am successful in developing these areas that my overall health and wellness will improve and I will be closer to achieving the complete integral health and human flourishing I am seeking.

Assessment: How have you assessed your health in each domain? How do you score your wellness spiritually, physically, and psychologically?

Spiritually I give myself a 7 on the scale of 1-10.  I am a very spiritual person.  I pray daily.  I listen to Christian music daily.  I read uplifting and inspirational books including the scriptures frequently.  I try to watch only good, wholesome television programs and movies. I gladly enjoy helping others and look for ways to serve as often as I can.  I give myself a 7, though, because I have not been attending church regularly for the two years I have lived where I do now. It’s mostly that I hate being the “new” person.  Once I go I will be fine.  It’s just getting myself to do it is the problem.  Attending church regularly is important to me and is how I view myself in being a spiritual person.

Physically I would rate myself as a 4 on a scale of 1-10.  I am overweight and out of shape.  While I don't have any known illnesses or diseases such as diabetes (yet), I know that I am taking a risk with myself in this area. The weight loss battle I have fought on and off since I was in my twenties.  I have gained and I have lost and gained it all back again. I know what I need to do.  I know how I need to do it and why.  I just need to get back on the wagon and do it.  I know how wonderful I feel when I am eating right, exercising regularly and losing weight.  

Psychologically I give myself a 5.  Six years ago I went through a very difficult and nasty divorce after 22 years of marriage to the father of my kids.  During those 22 years he was abusive to me not physically, but verbally and emotionally.  Coming out of that I have dealt with severe self-image issues.  It has been a very rocky road for me to climb out of that hole I felt I was in.  I am; however, glad to say that I am on the mend. I now have a wonderful husband who treats me like a queen and has helped me overcome some very serious issues.  Without him I probably would not be here today.  With a little more refining in this area I will be able to give myself a 9 or 10 in the near future.

Goal Development: List at least one goal you have for yourself in each area, Physical, Psychological (mental health) and Spiritual.

Spiritually, I have set a goal to attend church this week.  Once I go and get the “newness” formalities out of the way it will be easy for me to continue attending church on a regular basis.  With that said, I foresee my rating in the spiritual area will move up into the 9 to 10 area over the next few weeks. 

Physically, I have already begun to work towards achieving goals in this area.  I recently joined a gym and I purchased a treadmill.  Now I am scheduling time into my week to walk and do resistance training.  I am starting out slow with a goal of walking 15 to 20 minutes 5 days a week with the goal of increasing that to 30 minutes per day within a month’s time.  I also made a goal to go to the gym twice a week for 30 minutes to start with and then progress into 3 to 4 days per week.   I have also joined weight watchers, where I have to keep track of my daily food intake, as well as daily exercise.  I also am required to weigh in each week. 

Psychologically, I have been working on goals in this area since my divorce 7 years ago.  I am progressing well, through the love and encouragement I receive from my husband.  My self-image and self-worth is so much better than it used to be.  I have a self mantra that I say to myself every day.  It has taken me a long time to believe in myself and know that I am worthy of love.  I am finally feeling that way.  With a little more time, I will be where I want to be.  I believe my self-image will also improve once I start to see results in the physical area with weight loss and better health.  Regular meditation exercises being included in my daily routine will also improve my psychological health. 

Practices for personal health: What strategies can you implement to foster growth in each of the following domains; Physical, Psychological, and Spiritual. Provide at least two examples of exercises or practices in each domain. Explain how you will implement each example.

Strategies I will implement in the spiritual domain include continued prayer, reading the scriptures, regularly listening to Christian music, watching wholesome television programs and movies as well as regular church attendance.  All of these actions will help me stay where I desire to be on the spiritual level.     

Psychologically I will use the subtle mind medication exercise to calm my mind and relax.  I will continue to use the mantra I repeat daily to help improve my self-image and self-worth.  I am also considering giving yoga a try improvement in this domain as well as in the physical domain. 

Physically I will use the treadmill for my walking program, and resistance training at the gym with weights.  The key here is consistency and motivation.  Having my husband and sister who check up on my results will keep me motivated and consistent because I won’t want to let them down.  Being accountable to Weight Watcher’s is another motivator.  I am required to weigh in each week and I want to show significant weight loss each week. 

Commitment: How will you assess your progress or lack of progress in the next six months? What strategies can you use to assist in maintaining your long-term practices for health and wellness?

To keep track of my progress I will be keeping a simple journaling tool on my phone where I can jot down activities I did that day or what got in the way of eating healthy on another day etc.  I will also continue to use my blog I created for this class as a way to report my results each week.  Additionally, I am also a member of weight watchers online where I will log in my daily food intake, daily exercise activities and weekly weigh-ins. 


All of these tools will provide a way for me to go back into the past to see where I started and how I have progressed along the way.  I believe that evaluating oneself is an important part of the growth process.  

8 comments:

  1. Sherrie, it's wonderful that you have found happiness after going through such a difficult relationship. It sounds like you have a great plan and support in place to continue on your road to healing. I'm sure your spiritual activities and returning to church will only add to your inner peace and happiness.

    As for exercise, I can understand how difficult it is at times to get back on track to a regular routine. Mine was interrupted over a year ago with an injury and I've found it difficult to develop a new routine I can stick with. I do know that once you start exercising regularly, you'll feel the benefits both mentally and physically, which leaves you with a feeling you don't want to be without. Sounds like you have a good plan for doing this and I wish you all the best with it and your journey through school.

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherrie,

    Best of luck to you with your goals...especially the physical ones. I battle each day with my physical disabilities form my military service and it can be a royal pain in the behind!!!!

    One foot in front of the other and if I can offer any advice - never interrupt your set routine...it is what you have to do for yourself...holidays, family, etc. Doesn't matter! Make your scheduled work-outs no matter what and you will get results!!!

    Peace!

    Liam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being accountable to other people is so useful. The apps I am using keep me in touch with my Mom and Dad as they use the same program, and I don't want them to see me slacking!

    Do you enjoy the Weight Watchers program?

    I also love the special feeling you get when worshiping with others. Best of luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sherrie,

    What an encouragement it has been to read your personal story and know that there is someone else out there who has had similar experiences and lived to tell about it! Divorce does indeed take it out of you. It challenges everything you believe about yourself and if your divorce was anything like mine, my ex hurled all kinds of things at me to make me doubt my self-worth.
    But we hold the truth in God's word that we are loved and adored and worthy, amen! That is the truth.

    I am so excited that you are looking to attend church again. Holding you accountable...did you go yesterday? We had a horrible tragedy last Monday and a member of our men's ministry was killed instantly when a gas grill exploded in preparation for a men's ministry BBQ. Our worship service was phenomenal on Sunday morning. Even through tragedy, God is good.

    I hope we will have another class together before I am done...only three terms to go. Keep up the good work, you will get there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sherrie,

    I found your writing very inspiring. I agree, that it does feel good when we know we are on the right path, with eating and activity. I keep a journal of this, as well, so that when I feel like giving up I can look back on it as evidence that I can do it! It sounds like things are working together for the best in your life, right now. I wish you all the best in your journey, and I hope that you continue your blog after this course is done :-))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sherrie,

    I really can see how important your faith in Christ is!! No compromise. Journaling is one way that I write how I am feeling for the day and sometimes songs (Christian songs)and I believe it is a way of the Holy Spirit talking to me.
    This class has indeed exceeded my expectation and lesson learned will go a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherry I am happy that you found happiness after such pain. So many women let their situations make them bitter and angry but it sounds like you welcomed love in and knew it was worth another chance. I know you give your new husband credit but also give yourself credit for getting back up and starting over. I have the same struggles with my weight and am learning how to be more on top of that through my studies. I don't know what program your are in at kaplan but the nutrition program was so helpful to me with this weight journey. Little by little I am starting to see pos changes in my body without doing any drastic dieting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sherrie,
    Congrats on having a clear plan of action to put into play so that you can move closer to integral health. I truly believe that when we are accountable in the things we need to do to show improvement for ourselves we are already halfway there. Having others to help keep you accountable once you start your fitness routine is also a great idea. I'm sure you will be well on your way to achieving your goals in no time flat! Best of luck to you in the future and the remaining classes you have toward securing your degree!

    Sherese Reed
    heres2ahealthyu

    ReplyDelete